listening

listening

Friday, March 22, 2013

The Godly Man

To my Shoulders in Chile,

You must get tired carrying all the seven of us sometimes, and I wonder how you don't just sit right down and bawl.  You are strong.

I've been thinking about the dark days.  Remember them?  It plain hurt to breathe, didn't it?  The house was cold, and the bed was cold, and our two hearts were dead cold.  Dead.  Didn't Jesus do something  for us?  And didn't we do everything not to deserve it?

I want to hold your hand for the rest of my life on earth, and I want to cup your dear face in my fingers. I want to kiss the "worry wrinkle" between your bushy brows, and trace the creases next to your eyes as we grow old.  I want to tell you over and over again that I see Jesus in your eyes and in your service to our family.  I see Him shining in all this new tenderness of yours, and I wonder what it is costing you.  To grow the way you are takes skin on the line, and I want you to know that I see it.

I am finding me feet because of you.  Who says, "Too late?"  Not you, and what would I do had you given up on me?  Walked away?  Said goodbye?  And who would I be if not for your love?

When you got down on one knee, slipped the ring on Little Sister's hand, and asked her for permission to guard her heart and her purity, I about died.  I thought she would cry tears of embarrassment, and I was more surprised than anyone at the expression on her face.  She sat with her legs crossed on the fireplace hearth.  Huge smile.  Waiting and expecting her daddy to do the right thing and make her a promise.  And when you took Big Sister's hand in yours?  Honey, I thought she would laugh at you.  Instead, she had to work hard to hold back tears.

Your commitment to seeing our boys through the dark times has won every inch of my heart.  You face the hard road with your life motto: "Do the right thing."  Our boys will become men like you and men like their Father in Heaven because you have loved them with His everlasting love.  You shall win the day, most certainly, you shall.

Your love is ruining us for everything but the pure love of Jesus Christ Who dwells here by grace on Lazy Lane, and Michael... I am undone.

When we sit around the table at night, and you teach us about Jesus?   Sir, sometimes I feel like I'm going to fall right out of my chair.  A godly man...I love a godly man.

I am my Beloved's and he is mine,

Your Bernadette

"His mouth is most sweet, and he is altogether desirable.  This is my beloved, and this is my friend"  Song of Solomon 5:16

No comments:

Post a Comment