listening

listening

Friday, April 5, 2013

Love Song

When they were small.
( And sometimes still.)
I would sit on their beds and sing.
Voice cracking and throat sore.
Always sore.
Sweet lullabies.
While tracing their faces with my fingers.
Stroking their hair.

And when I first came across that verse in Zephania:

"For the LORD your God is living among you.  He is a mighty savior.  He will take delight in you with gladness.  With His love, He will calm all your fears.  He will rejoice over you with joyful songs."  3:17

I let my imagination run wild.

The God of the universe.

He is living among us.  He is mighty to save.  He takes delight in His kids, and He calms ALL our fears with His love.  And... He rejoices over us with joyful songs.

Oh...perhaps Wendy will share her journal entry sometime about this verse?

I remember travelling down the road with my family when I was growing up, and how my dad would sing "Let Me Call You Sweetheart" with a voice that sent shivers down my arms.

But my Father in heaven singing joyful songs over me?  Over us?  Over you?

Just needing to turn in for the night now, but can I invite you to close your eyes and trust that He is singing over you?  Sweet lullabies, perhaps?  Songs of deliverance and freedom and grace?

Love songs, friends.

Love songs,

Bernadette

3 comments:

  1. Oh my dear Friend. I came here tonight to feel near to you. Heart aching and wounded, the weight of this life burying all my strength and drowning all my courage. You wrote it last night, that you'd sing a hymn for me. And now here you are pressing me to listen for *Him* singing over me WITH JOY. I'm listening, Friend. I'm listening.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I forgot to tell you that I have a terrible singing voice. I make everyone I sing to promise that they'll be my friend forever so....I guess you're quite stuck with me over the long haul. :) In the meanwhile...eat Zephania 3:17, and allow your imagination to go as well. I can't believe that we belong to a God Who SINGS!!!!

    ReplyDelete