listening

listening

Monday, May 30, 2011

BRAVE

She rolled in at midnight, and I was mad that she was late.  I had lain in bed for hours waiting to see her lovely face.  Mine contorted in worry.   I knew she had gone to the south side of town, and I was a bit frantic.  Called and texted her.  Called and texted her friends.  No answers.  Panic rising.

She sat, apologizing, at the edge of my bed while I held gentle reign on her long ponytail.  Her words began to spill out...precious gems tumbling out of heart all grown up.  I tried to catch their beauty in my hands.  Hold them tight.

The Spirit of God in her lit the darkened room as she shared her experience of praying for a homeless man.  Bloody faced man.  Running from the cops man.  How the Lord gave her the power to reach out.  Touch him.  Reeking of alcohol and drunk out of sense.  Common.  The Strong Soft stretched out the Life in her, the Light of all men, and lay it down just so on his burden.  His shoulder.  Soft caress in all that hard and hurt.  Her heart going all the way out to this one soul.

Lost.

She grieves at all the lost-ness.  I rejoice in the awakening.   The world beyond these safe walls touches her heart and makes her different.  Never the same.  Her voice trembles with gratitude, and she resolves to live differently.  I want to hug her as this deep craving is carved into her heart.  She becomes like Jesus in wanting the world to know of His love, and her heart burns for us to love each other.

"If I had just one thing to tell people, it would be to love each other.  JUST LOVE EACH OTHER!"  She fairly shouts into the darkness.  Making me shiver.  Making me smile.  I am completely overwhelmed at who she is becoming.  Humbled.

Can you teach me to be brave, Sarah-girl?  Can you teach this Mama, always fighting fear, to walk in the power of Who He is and all that He can do?  I feel foolish.  Writing here for all to see is the length and breadth of my courage.  How Jesus had to work me over to get me here!  And how, in the early hours of morning, my sixteen year old daughter becomes my hero.  I resolve to live differently.  The way she does.  Laying my life all out there to reach.  Even.  One.  Soul.

Lost.

"Here's another way to put it:  You're here to be light, bringing out the God-colors in the world.  God is not a secret to be kept.  We're going public with this, as public as a city on a hill.  If I make you light- bearers, you don't think I'm going to hide you under a bucket, do you?  I'm putting you on a light stand.  Now that I've put you there on a hill top, on a light stand--- shine!  Keep open house; be generous with your lives.  By opening up to others, you'll prompt people to open up with God, this generous Father in heaven.".
Matthew 5:14-16 The Message

To be brave,

Bernadette

No comments:

Post a Comment